Sunday, December 14, 2008

Books about multilingualism

I recently wrote a review of a book about multilingualism (bilingualism to be exact). It's the second book I read about the subject since it's of big personal interest to me.  I've also read a few articles and followed at least one online discussion about it.  Here's what I believe now about all the information that's available:

  • Do not read any books about bilingualism unless you have to.  The information is unlikely to change much about your attitudes towards multilingualism and reading them can be annoying because they read like propaganda materials.
  • If you do want to read something, the book I've just read (A Parents' & Teachers' Guide to Bilingualism) is not too bad in spite of the fact that my review contains a few criticisms.

No comments: