Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems is one of my 4 year-old daughter's favorite books. I also really like it and I picked it as the book to read to children in her classroom as "community reader" last week. The book is witty and smart and a joy to read both by children and adults.

But I would also like to point out that naked mole rats are fascinating animals. If, like me, you haven't heard of them, check out one of many articles about them on the web (e.g., this one on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_mole_rat). As a teaser, let me say that this one of only two species of mammals that are eusocial, i.e., their society is organized similar to ants and other social insects.

in reference to: Amazon.com: Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed (9781423114376): Mo Willems: Books (view on Google Sidewiki)

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I read the book long ago to my 4 year old but never realized that the animal is real. I thought the author made it up. Ha...thanks!

Michał Cierniak said...

I had no idea about these animals before reading the book either. :)